Friday, May 30, 2014

The Diaper Recyclers



The Diaper Recyclers


As the loads of diapers and I were unloaded onto the cement floor of the recycling company, the Lodal trash truck drove away, leaving a very large and very loosely packed pile of cloth and disposable diapers behind. Another side loading trash truck full of cloth and disposable diapers backs up to the pile and dumps its large load, the loose and bagged diapers fall out and cover parts of the pile I am in. Then, once the load is out, the truck drives away. It wasn’t long before a large bull dozer came along and began to scoop up the diapers and I. the bull dozer bucket carried the first load over to a large funnel hopper and then dropped them in. Then it came back and scooped up another large load with a few loose diapers falling down along the way, over to the funnel hopper. Then the bucket came and scooped the part of the load that had ME in it up and it carried the diapers and I over to the funnel hopper and then it dropped the load and I into the funnel on top of the other loads that were still inside.
Danny: (Me) HEY! What are you DOING! What is this thing???? Where are MY diapers??? Can’t I get a diaper change??? I am starting to feel soaked here!!!
The front loading bucket backed away and then left to go get the rest of the diapers loaded into the funnel hopper for the first part of processing. As the bull dozer Front loading bucket comes back with another load of diapers, it dumps them all on top of me and they cover me completely. I didn’t know this at the time, but this was just the beginning phase of the recycling process. This was the sorting line that separated the cloth items from the disposables and the non recyclable disposable diapers from the recyclable disposables. The NON recyclable disposable diapers were put into another bin that is later taken to the company landfill behind their facility, made especially for diapers and subjects they can’t recycle.
As the diapers inside the funnel hopper began to sink lower and lower, I began to hear the slow-moving conveyor belt’s whine and the diapers falling down onto it. As the diapers fell out from under me, I was forced down through the narrow part of the funnel and onto the conveyor belt feet first then onto my diapered bottom on the conveyor belt. More and more diapers and bags of diapers fell down onto the belt behind me as the belt carried the diapers and I along the enclosed conveyor belt. A short time later, the thick steel walls surrounding the conveyor belt stopped and then there was only open belt for a bit. There were 12 sorters standing around both sides, six on each side of the belt, that were picking out cloth diapers, and cloth items and they were tossing the cloth diapers and items into a couple of rolling janitorial carts that were quickly filling up. There were already two thickly cloth-diapered subjects in the two cloth diaper carts awaiting their fates.
Since I had thick disposable diapers on over six layered ex-cloth diaper service, toddler sized diapers on, I was allowed through to the end of this conveyor belt where all of the disposable diapers were dropping into one of ten waiting rolling janitorial carts.
Once the bin filled up, it was rolled away to another sorting belt and the non recyclable disposable diapers were separated from the recyclable diapers along with any cloth diapers that may have slipped past the first sorting. My disposable diapers were REALLY, REALLY puffy and bulky and this made it easier to process in the machine that some of the diapers and I were going to be put into later on. The cart I was in was emptied onto the next conveyor belt and the load and I moved along the belt as the sorters picked off quite a few diapers that weren’t going to be recycled due to the type of plastics used as the backsheet. Then what was left on the belt was being taken into an enclosed area of the belt where the diapers got heavily sprayed with deodorizers and SAP deactivators. As I came up to the sorters, my diaper was poked at and several fingers were inserted into the elastic leg gathers, checking for cloth diapers. Finding that I indeed had some under my disposable, I was taken off the belt and brought over to a changing station and laid upon it then strapped down.
A pretty blonde woman was standing over me, between my legs and was unfastening the tapes of my disposable diaper. She pulled the front of the diaper down and saw the six layered toddler sized cloth pre-fold diapers and then she called over to some other woman to ask her what she wanted done with me and the diapers.
Blonde: HEY! Jackie, what do you want me to take off, the cloth diapers or the disposable?
Brunette: (Coming over to take a look) Let me come see. (walking over and peering down at the diapers) Yes, take the cloth diapers out of the disposable then put the disposable diaper back on him and then put him back onto the conveyor belt.
Blonde: Sure boss.
The blond took the cloth diapers off and then tossed them onto my chest for a minute until my disposable was put back on. Then she unstrapped me and then picked me up and carried me back over to the conveyor belt and put me down on my back, on the belt. Then She carried my cloth diapers to the recycling area and then laid them down into one of the carts that was almost full.
Blonde: “There you go sweetie, in a very short time, you and all of these nice, comfy disposable diapers will be taken to get recycled and then you will possibly end up at the chemical treatment department and wearing a nice, thick recyclable disposable diaper. By the time we are finished with you, you and your diaper that you are wearing will be all gone and you will then get taken directly to our diaper landfill and left there.”
Danny: But, but, but….why do I have to go in with my favorite disposable diaper on? Can’t it just be taken off of me and then I can be put into another diaper and used somewhere else?
Blonde: Sorry kid. You are here to be recycled and we have to reprogram you and then get you put into some recycled diapers to get tested before we are completely done with you. Then our trash men will come and take you and all of the diapers we can’t recycle away and dispose of them in our diaper landfill where you will be kept until either someone decides to sell you or they decide to bury you with the diapers.
Bye-bye now.
The Blonde walks away and goes back to her station leaving me on the conveyor belt with lots and lots of clean and formerly wet and rolled up messy disposable diapers.
The conveyor belt kept moving at a medium pace. More and more disposable diapers were now being dumped onto the conveyor belt ahead. The steady flow of loose wet and messy disposable diapers onto the belt from a large and very deep funnel hopper that I was about to go right underneath, was rather daunting to see as I was brought under the end of the funnel. Lots and lots of loose and open wet disposable diapers began to cover me and pile up all around me in the now enclosed part of the belt. The sound of crinkling, rustling, shaking plastics was heard as I rolled out from under the end of the funnel hopper. I was now covered with loose, unrolled, clean, wet, and rolled up messy disposable diapers as the belt carried the loads and I around a slight curve. The sound of falling diapers that also sounded sort of like a waterfall, began to fade away as the low hum of the conveyor belt was once again the only sounds I heard. Shortly after the curve, I began hearing the sound of a large machine’s motor getting louder and louder as the belt carried the large amounts of disposable diapers close and closer to that sound.
Suddenly, the darkness faded and light and warm air filled the area along the belt. The belt was no longer completely enclosed. The top of the enclosure had suddenly disappeared and workers were standing along the belt rummaging through the diapers as they went along. I felt a pair of hands pick me up and hold me up just above the belt with their rubber-gloved hands under my arms as the loads and loads of disposable diapers continued along the belt underneath my dangling feet.
Worker: Hey boss, is this going through the shredder?
Worker’s Boss: let me take a look…. (The worker’s boss came over and took a long look at me and even inserted both of her index fingers into my leg elastics of my diaper.)
Worker’s Boss: Yes, he is. Put him back onto the belt.
Worker: Yes ma’am.
The worker then laid me back down on top of the diapers that were passing underneath me feet first and onto my tummy. I now saw that at least ten opened and unopened packages of new and clean disposable diapers were all around me as well as loose opened clean disposable diapers as well as unrolled wet disposable diapers. As I continued along the belt, the diapers were being sprayed with some red, gooey gels and then some nasty looking blue liquids that smelled like the liquids that are used in toilets to sanitize and deodorize. First, the red liquid-like red gels coated me completely and stained my skin and turned my white disposable diaper a light pink color. Then, as I passed under the next set of sprayers, the diapers and I were completely coated with the dark blue liquids that also stained my skin and diapers! I was now a very nasty looking purple color with blue and red runs all over me! The packs of diapers were coated but the diapers inside the package were unharmed as the belt continued to bring the diapers and I closer and loser to the louder and louder sounds of a large machine’s motor.
Completely soaked with the red gloppy and gooey red gels and the slimy blue liquids, I wiped some of the drips out of my face and as I opened my eyes, I was about to be dumped into a large and very deep, square orange colored funnel hopper that was quickly filling up with the diapers from the belt.
I fell a short distance to the bottom where already six feet worth of loads of loose clean, wet and rolled up messy disposable diapers and a few packages of disposable diapers were waiting. I landed on a couple of unopened packages of diapers and then rolled to the side onto my back. More and more diapers kept falling into the deep, large and wide hopper for a bit until suddenly the diapers below me began to lurch and roll and then sink down. More and more diapers kept coming in as the diapers below me kept lurching and being tossed around as the shredders kept munching and chewing the diapers into pieces so tiny that no one could tell that they had once been a whole diaper.
As I began to see the black knuckles of the shredders, I started to panic!
Danny: (Me) HEY! What is happening here! Am I about to be shredded? HEY! Let me out! MY DIAPER!!!!! I don’t want it to get shredded! WAAAAAAAAA!
A red-head woman peers over the edge of the shredder hopper and watches and listens to my cries.
Red-head: It’ll be ok boy, only your diaper is getting shredded. You will come out of the bottom and land on the conveyor belt that will take you to be dumped into a large cart at the end with the rest of the shredded diapers.
Danny: Are YOU sure????
Red-Head: Um, not really, but the last diapered person we put through this, made it….until we disposed of him….
Down worry, the compactor cycle will push you and all of these diapers down and into the shredder in just a few.
Danny: NOOOOOOO! STOP! I don’t wanna get shredded! AHAHAHAHWAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Suddenly, from above, a large and thick, shiny metal packer plate began to lower down into the metal hopper of the shredder, pressing harder and harder against the diapers and I. then, without having a chance to figure out what was going on, the rolling knuckles of the shredder took hold of my diaper and started to rip chunks of it over and over and over again until I was no longer wearing a diaper. I then fell out and onto another conveyor belt along with the remains of the diapers that had been shredded. I was naked and covered in diaper shreddings as well as stained with pinkish red and blue liquids and I smelled like a blue-water toilet bowl.
The conveyor belt carried me over to a large grey plastic tilt truck/trash cart and dropped me inside. The shreddings kept dropping in, some of the packages that had been full of new diapers, made it partially through without too much damage. The diapers that had managed to make it through undamaged began to fall down into the cart and cover me completely. Once the cart was full, the full one was rolled away while an empty cart replaced the full one.

More to cum soon……




No comments:

Post a Comment